This is the first of a 2-part interview. Jason admitted that he was a mess. He realized that he was a hunter trapped in an office. It was hard for him to understand and then accept that his career as a church pastor was killing his inner soul. Being a man of faith, he longed to turn his love for hunting into a way to serve God and people as a hunter. You don’t have to be a person of faith to realize that your career just isn’t a fit for you.
Sometimes we just need to take some time, like some time in the woods sitting in your tree stand or blind, and listen to our thoughts and feel what is in our hearts. Career freedom looks different for every one of us. What does it look like for you?
About My Guest:
Jason Cruise is a published author and nationally known speaker. He is the host of Spring Chronicles, a TV show on the Sportsman Channel and also the host of Mossberg’s Rugged American Hunter. His educational background includes a Bachelor degree from University Of North Alabama, a Masters of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary. He has worked sweeping the parking lot and scooping minnows at his father’s sporting goods store to pastoring a church. But it was there that he realized he was a hunter trapped in an office and that led to what he is doing now, writing, speaking, and producing TV programs.
- JasonCruise.com website
- Connect with Jason Cruise on his Facebook page
- Follow Jason Cruise on Twitter
- Jason mentioned the YouTube video that he produced that addresses the number one question that he gets asked “How do you get a job in the hunting industry?”
The following are three shows that Jason has produced:
- Watch Spring Chronicles videos on The Sportsman Channel website
- Watch Blind Insights videos on The Sportsman Channel website
- Watch Rewind Series videos (a 4 part series) on The Sportsman Channel website
Book recommendations from Jason:
- Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne – about discovering a place with no competition. The authors argue that lasting success comes not from battling competitors, but from creating “blue oceans”—untapped new market spaces ripe for growth.
- The Holy Bible – The New Living Translation – This is a translation that is easy to read and understand and that accurately communicates the meaning of the original text. There are many other translations available.
Jason recommended three books written by Seth Godin:
- Tribes: We Need You To Lead Us – Godin argues that lasting and substantive change can be best effected by a tribe: a group of people connected to each other, to a leader and to an idea.
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? – This book is about you-your choices, your future, and your potential to make a huge difference in whatever field you choose.
- Purple Cow: Transform Your Business By Being Remarkable – Cows, after you’ve seen one, or two, or ten, are boring. A Purple Cow, though…now that would be something. Godin urges you to put a Purple Cow into everything you build, and everything you do, to create something truly noticeable.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see to the left of this post and be sure to tell your hunting buddies as well.
A couple suggestions regarding ways that you can support the show and two ways to get something for FREE:
- Go to iTunes with this link Bowhunting Freedom with Philip Havens and leave an honest rating and review (one sentence is great). I assure you that I read each and every one. It is extremely valuable to me as a podcast content producer to have fans leaving a rating and/or a written review. I am extremely thankful to those who have taken the time to go into my listing in iTunes to provide an honest rating and a review. The show is also on Stitcher Radio if you are a fan of Android devices.
- Download the FREE career guide: BowhuntingFreedom.com/guide
- Download your first audiobook for FREE just for starting a 30 day trial of Audible. AudibleTrial.com/freedom. Choose from 180,000+ bestsellers, new releases, sci-fi, romances, mysteries, classics, and more. The service works with iPhones, Android phone, other smartphones, Kindles, tablets, and mp3 players. Go ahead and give it a try, no obligation and you get one book for free.
- Do you shop at Amazon.com? Please use my Amazon affiliate link to support me on purchases you are already making, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to you. As a matter of fact, you can make this really easy by creating a bookmark for Amazon.com to use BowhuntingFreedom.com/amazon
- Want to Know When the Next Bowhunting Freedom Podcast is Released? Get the Bowhunting Freedom newsletter: BowhuntingFreedom.com/newsletter
- Tell all of your friends about the podcast and encourage them to listen, subscribe, and leave a review.
REVIEW and SUBSCRIBE to Bowhunting Freedom on iTUNES and Stitcher:
Get In Touch:
- Be a Guest: Contact Us
- Facebook: www.Facebook.com/BowhuntingFreedom
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/BowhuntFreedom
- Feedback: Contact Us