Dennis Dunn is the author of the award winning book “Barebow! An Archer’s Fair-Chase Taking of North America’s Big Game 29“. In today’s show, Dennis share a bit about his 40 year adventure as he pursued the Super Slam with his bare bow. He also provides some tips to those who are currently pursuing or have considered pursuing a career as an outdoor writer.
Guest’s Opening Quote:
“… and be willing to explore and take chances and go to some of these conferences and meet new people, because I guarantee you, you will meet people that will open your eyes and open doors for you to others. The people that you meet there may not themselves open the door for you right away. They may say, you know, here is somebody you should be talking to, here is somebody that that I know will be fascinated by what you are writing about or what you want to write about and could really be helpful to you.”
About My Guest:
Born in Seattle in May of 1940, Dennis Dunn went on to graduate cum laude from Harvard University in 1962, with a B.A. degree and a major in Romance Languages and Literature. He became a middle and senior high school French language teacher, and during this period he earned a Masters Degree in Romance Languages from the University of Washington.
He married the late Jennifer Blackburn Dunn in 1965 and fathered two sons: Bryant in 1969, and Reagan in 1971. Both boys are avid bowhunters and firearms hunters. Bryant currently owns and operates a very successful Outfitter/Guide Service in the back-country of Idaho. He specializes in elk and deer — bow or rifle, as well as in grouse hunting and flyfishing. Sun Valley Outfitters can be viewed on the web at: www.sunvalleyoutfitters.org
Intrigued with politics, Dunn left the teaching profession in 1970, when he was elected Chairman of the King County Republican Party. He served in that position for 6 years, and in 1976 he was elected as the GOP National Committeeman for the state of Washington. He ultimately rose to be a Vice-Chairman of the Republican National Committee, before finally resigning his various Party positions in 1983 and becoming a securities broker. By then, his attention to bowhunting had become a major avocation in life. In 1988, he moved to Vancouver, B.C., where he met Karen, who became his beloved bride in 1989.
A year before returning to Seattle in 1999, Dunn began pursuing actively his passion for opera, and he soon accepted appointment as the Northwest Regional Chairman of the Metropolitan Opera National Council. To this date, he still serves as a leader in that organization’s quest to find and promote gifted young opera singers onto the stages of the world’s opera houses.
He joined the Pope & Young Club in 1972, and he has been a Senior Member of that organization since 1985. In September of 2004, Dunn completed a 40-year odyssey when he harvested a male Alaskan Brown Bear on Baranof Island in S.E. Alaska and completed what has become known in hunting circles as the North American Super Slam: the taking of all 29 huntable big-game animals recognized by the Pope & Young Club. Although six other bowhunters had managed to accomplish that feat prior to Dunn, he was the first to complete the Super Slam barebow — meaning no pins, no sights, or other aiming devices. In short, his arrows were guided only by instinct.
Of the 29 Pope & Young species, 17 of Dunn’s original 29 have been listed in the Club’s records. Since the fall of 2004, he has added five more species to the records listings.
Dennis’ email address email@example.com
Barebows Facebook page
Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA) website
POMA on Twitter
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see to the left of this post and be sure to tell your hunting buddies as well.
A couple suggestions regarding ways that you can support the show and two ways to get something for FREE:
- Go to iTunes with this link Bowhunting Freedom with Philip Havens and leave an honest rating and review (one sentence is great). I assure you that I read each and every one. It is extremely valuable to me as a podcast content producer to have fans leaving a rating and/or a written review. I am extremely thankful to those who have taken the time to go into my listing in iTunes to provide an honest rating and a review. The show is also on Stitcher Radio if you are a fan of Android devices.
- Download the FREE career guide: BowhuntingFreedom.com/guide
- Download your first audiobook for FREE just for starting a 30 day trial of Audible. AudibleTrial.com/freedom. Choose from 180,000+ bestsellers, new releases, sci-fi, romances, mysteries, classics, and more. The service works with iPhones, Android phone, other smartphones, Kindles, tablets, and mp3 players. Go ahead and give it a try, no obligation and you get one book for free.
- Do you shop at Amazon.com? Please use my Amazon affiliate link to support me on purchases you are already making, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to you. As a matter of fact, you can make this really easy by creating a bookmark for Amazon.com to use BowhuntingFreedom.com/amazon
- Want to Know When the Next Bowhunting Freedom Podcast is Released? Get the Bowhunting Freedom newsletter: BowhuntingFreedom.com/newsletter
- Tell all of your friends about the podcast and encourage them to listen, subscribe, and leave a review.